TURKISH CITIZENSHIP BY AN INVESTMENT
If you want to obtain a Turkish citizenship and want to make investments as an international advisory and law firm, we advise and assist our clients on Turkish Citizenship by Investment. Turkey announced its citizenship by investment programme by granting residency, citizenship and a second passport to applicants. Our legal and non legal team advice and assist you through all the necessary steps. Turkish Citizenship Code has made new amendments and there are new regulations on this subject.
There are several options where you can meet the criteria;
• Applicant, his/her spouse and children (under the age 18) can gain Turkish citizenship with a 250.000 USD purchase of Turkish property on the condition to not sell the property within the next 3 years. No requirements to reside in Turkey during or after the application process. No exam, interview, or complex procedures. Multiple citizenship is allowed.
• Deposit 500,000 USD for at least 3 years in one of the Turkish Banks.
• Provide employment for at least 50 people
• Purchase state debt instruments worth 500,000 USD and keep in reserve at least three years.
• Purchase real estate participation fund share and capital investment trusts fund share with a minimum value of 5000,000 USD and keep in reserve for at least three years.
Benefits: Full health coverage for the whole family, pension program, free education at public schools and universities, etc.
HOW TO BUY A REAL ESTATE IN TURKEY?
As mentioned above foreigners who buy a real estate in Turkey for 250,000 USD and their families can be Turkish citizen. It is easier to get residence permit for the foreigners who buy property in Turkey. With residence permit children of foreigners can have an education in here and it is easier to find a job. There is a procedure to be followed for buying property. For that reason it is recommended that you should get assistance in matters of real estate due diligence procedure when buying a real estate. It is important to know that if the property is a subject to litigation or not before making purchase. Also foreigners are subject to certain restrictions;
A foreign national can not buy more than 30 hectares of property in Turkey, in total.
• Can not buy property in military forbidden zones and security zones.
• A foreign real person can buy property up to %10 of the total area of the district where private property is located.
After signing contract, the final step to complete purchasing process is registering your real estate to Turkish TAPU (land registry). After both parties agreed on the price, buyer should make an application to relevant TAPU Office with his/her passport and ID card.
Safe and happy environment for the family
- Regional Powerhouse
- Muslim Country offering Democratic, Secular and Western lifestyle
- Very hospitable and welcoming manner to foreigners
- Perfectly located between Europe, Asia and the Middle East
- Excellent food and rich Turkish cuisine
- Superb Educational Facilities
- Superb Health Facilities
- High Quality of Life
- Fantastic natural environment
- Wonderful climate throughout the year
- One of the largest and strongest economies in the World
G20, NATO Member, EU Candidate Country
- Prospective Visa free travel for all Turkish Citizens to EU (Schengen zone) soon
- High GDP per capita
- Easy to do Business
- Strong, Independent Legal System and Courts
- Fair Tax System
- Easy to obtain long-term, multiple visa entry to EU, US, Canada, UK and Australia for Turkish citizens
- Opportunity to relocate and live in Istanbul, one of the most beautiful and developed towns in the World or any other part of Turkey.
What Are The Benefits Of Being A Turkish Citizen
In 2020, Turkish passport took 29th place with 114 points, allowing visa-free entry to 110 countries..
• Take advantage of advanced and free education opportunities.
• Benefiting from excellent health facilities.
• Living in a safe environment.
• High quality of life
• To have confidentiality of assets.
• Being exempted from military service by applying for TCBI.
Access to Turkish cuisine, one of the world’s unique cuisines.
For foreign investors who have deposited at least USD 500,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish Lira in banks operating in Turkey
For foreign investors who have acquired a property worth a
minimum of USD 250,000 or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish Lira
Which countries are visa-free with a Turkish passport?
Turkish passport holders have visa-free or visa on arrival access to 110 destinations including Singapore, Japan, Qatar, and South Korea. Let’s take a closer look where can you travel.
• Visa-free in Asia:Bangladesh (Visa on arrival), Brunei, Cambodia (Visa on arrival), Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos (Visa on arrival), Macao, Malaysia, Maldives (Visa on arrival), Mongolia, Nepal (Visa on arrival), Pakistan (eTA), Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka (eTA), Taiwan (Visa on arrival), Tajikistan (Visa on arrival), Thailand, Timor-Leste (Visa on arrival), Uzbeki
Visa-free in Europe:Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Ukraine
• Visa-free in Africa:Botswana, Cape Verde Islands (Visa on arrival), Comores Islands (Visa on arrival), Eswatini (Swaziland), Gabon (Visa on arrival), Gambia, Guinea-Bissau (Visa on arrival), Kenya (Visa on arrival), Madagascar (Visa on arrival), Mauritania (Visa on arrival), Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique (Visa on arrival), Namibia (Visa on arrival), Rwanda (Visa on arrival), Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles (Visa on arrival), Sierra Leone (Visa on arrival), Somalia (Visa on arrival), South Africa, Sudan (Visa on arrival), Tanzania (Visa on arrival), Togo (Visa on arrival), Tunisia, Uganda (Visa on arrival), Zambia (Visa on arrival), Zimbabwe (Visa on arrival)
Visa-free in Oceania:Cook Islands, Fiji, Marshall Islands (Visa on arrival), Micronesia, Niue, Palau Islands (Visa on arrival), Samoa (Visa on arrival), Tonga (Visa on arrival), Tuvalu (Visa on arrival), Vanuatu, caribbean, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago
Visa-free in Americas:Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico (eTA), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela
• Visa-free in Middle East: Armenia (Visa on arrival), Azerbaijan (Visa on arrival), Bahrain (Visa on arrival), Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait (Visa on arrival), Lebanon (Visa on arrival), Qatar
Frequently Asked Questions
• Is the Turkish Citizenship by Investment granted for a lifetime?
Turkish Citizenship is granted for a lifetime and gives you the same rights as apply to Turkish Citizens by birth.
• Do I need to wait for 3 years after making the investment in order to be allowed to apply for Turkish Citizenship?
You can not sell the property or withdraw the deposited amount of 500.000 USD for 3 years. However, you are eligible for Turkish Citizenship application right after you finalize the investment and you do not need to wait for 3 years to apply.
Do I have to speak Turkish to be eligible for Turkish Citizenship on basis of investment?
There is no requirement regarding knowledge of Turkish language in order to benefit from Turkish Citizenship by Investment programme.
• Do I need to stay in Turkey for any specific period of time to be allowed to apply for Turkish Citizenship by Investment?
Residing in Turkey for particular period of time before or after acquisition of Turkish Citizenship by Investment is not obligatory.
How long does it take from the date of property purchase until I receive Turkish Passport?
As soon as you receive Title Deeds of purchased property and complete application file would be handed to the related authorities, evaluation procedures last from 45 days to 4 months.
• Is the ownership of the property infinite?
After a purchase and obtaining title deeds on your name, you become an owner of a property basing on the same rights as Turkish property owners. You can not sell the property for 3 years as by the Turkish Citizenship by Investment programme but after that time you have a right to keep or sell the property and there is no restrictions in this matter.
Are my spouse and chilren only allowed to apply for Turkish Citizenship after me, as an investor, become a Turkish Citizen?
Your spouse and children, who are under 18 years old are allowed to submit an application for Turkish Citizenship basing on your investment at the same time with you.
Can I purchase a property worth 250.000 USD in installments in order to apply for Turkish Citizenship by Investment?
You can only purchase a property in one installment via bank transfer in order to be eligible for citizenship application on basis of your investment.
I purchased 3 properties: first one in February 2017, second one in March 2018 and third one in November 2018. Total value of those properties is more than 250.000 USD. Am I eligible for Citizenship by Investment application?
To apply for Turkish Citizenship, total value of your properties purchased between 12.01.2017 and 18.09.2018 should be minimum 1.000.000 USD or total value of the properties purchased only after 18.09.2018 must be at least 250.000 USD.
• My eldest son is 17 Years and 5 months old. The age will be considered once the application file is submitted or when the application is finalized and citizenship would be granted to the investor?
Age of your son while starting the application procedures will be taken under consideration. As long as you start application process before your son turns 18, he will be eligible for acquisition of Turkish Citizenship.
• One of my children is over 18 years old but still studying in University and financially is completely dependent on me. Can he/she also apply for Turkish Citizenship on basis of my investment?
Children of investor, which are over 18 years old are not eligible for the application even if they are financially dependent on their parents.
• Can there be more than one person indicated in Title Deeds as an owner of a property? Can both of the owners apply for Turkish Citizenship?
Only one person can be owner of a property in order to be eligible for Turkish Citizenship by Investment application. If there would be more than one owner in Title Deeds, none of them is allowed to apply for Turkish Citizenship within the programme.
• After I acquire Turkish Citizenship on basis of investment, am I allowed to work in Turkey? Would the work permit be required?
After Turkish Citizenship would be granted to you on basis of investment, you have the same rights as Turkish Citizens by birth and you can work within Turkey with no need to obtain work permit.
• If I become Turkish Citizen on basis of investment, are my parents also eligible for Turkish Citizenship?
Only the spouse of investor and their children, who are under 18 years old are eligible to acquire Turkish Citizenship on basis of the programme. This rights do not apply to investor’s parents.
• Are there any specific locations or projects defined by Turkish Government in which i must invest to be allowed to apply for Turkish Citizenship?
There is no specific regulations presented by the Turkish Government describing location of the investment within Turkey to benefit from Turkish Citizenship by Investment programme.
After I purchase a property for 250.000 USD and apply for Turkish Citizenship on basis of my investment, do I have to live in this property or can I rent it?
Staying in Turkey for particular period of time before or after acquisition of Turkish Citizenship by Investment is not obligatory. It is also not required that you would live in a property purchased within the Turkish Citizenship by Investment programme, you are allowed to rent it.
• Can the deposit of 500.000 USD be made in other foreign currency?
Deposit must be made as US Dollars and after 3 years this amount can be also withdrawed only as US Dollars.
• Can I receive an interest from the deposited amount of 500.000 USD? How high would be the interest?
You can withdraw the interest only after 3 years when you will be also allowed to withdraw the deposited amount. The rate of interest depends on the bank in which you make a deposit.
• Does Turkish Law allow me to have double Citizenship? Do I have to renounce my current Citizenship if Turkish Citizenship would be granted?
Double Citizenship is allowed in Turkey and you do not need to renounce your current Citizenship.
Citizens of which countries can apply within Turkish Citizenship by Investment programme?
There is no regulations regarding nationality of the applicant. Citizens of any country are allowed to apply for Turkish Citizenship by Investment
• Can my family be Turkish citizen by poperty purchase?
Certainly, you, your spouse and all your children under the age of 18 may be Turkish citizens.
• Can I get more than one real estate to reach the 250,000 USD limit?
You can buy more than one real estate with a total value of at least $ 250,000. However, you should apply for all properties at the same time. In other words, the total value of the properties to get citizenship should be more than 250.000-USD
How should I calculate the USD and TL exchange rates?
According to the law of Turkish Citizenship by property: the exchange rate is calculated at the date of transaction over the Turkish Central Bank sales rates.
• How long does it take to get Turkish Citizenship?
The procedure is completed within 3 to 6 months. However, the government has been working to reduce this time.
Can I get a Turkish Citizenship by buying a rent guaranteed property?
Obviously, you can buy any real estate with a total value more than 250.000 USD.
• I do not have time to come to Turkey. How can I get Turkish citizenship by Property?
If you give power of attorney to us, you can follow all your processes from start to finish.
How many people can apply for a title deed?
According to the law, only one person and his or her first degree relatives (spouse and children under 18) may take citizenship.
I purchased property in Turkey before. Now can I apply for Turkish citizenship by Property?
The application can be made with real estate purchases and investments after 20.09.2018.
Which nationalities are accepted for the Turkish citizenship by Property?
All citizens who purchase property in Turkey can make this application
Can my child above the age of maturity/consent benefit from the right to citizenship?
Can I get citizenship for my disabled child over 18?
In fact yes. You can obtain citizenship by documenting that your child needs care.
The process of Turkish citizenship by Property can take up to 6 months. Can I get a residence permit in this process?
Obviously yes, you and your first degree family are granted a residence permit.
• I have more than one wife can I get Turkish Citizenship for both of my wives?
No, under Turkish civil law polygamy is not allowed. Only one wife can get Turkish Citizenship. The others can get a resident permit
• Are all properties suitable for programme?
No, there are some restrictions on this. We should analyze property before the purchase.
Turkey is easier than you think. Besides that, if you want to establish a company in Turkey, initial Forget the procedures, focus on your business in Turkey. Because setting up a business in consulting is completely free. Please feel free to ask us.